São Francisco do Sul is one of the oldest cities of Brazil, located in the Santa Catarina state in South Brazil. It covers an area of 493 km² (190 miles2) and had an estimated population of 37,725 in 2005. The channel to the Port of San Francisco of the South is 9.3 kilometers long by about 150m and 13m draft. Its first occupation was made temporarily by Spaniards around 1553. There is no evidence that would have been one of the points where in 1504 the expedition of Binot Paulmier of Gonneville have contributed. It was definitely founded as a village by the Portuguese in 1658. It is situated on the northern end of the island of São Francisco do Sul at the entrance to the Bay of Babitonga.